Thursday, August 21, 2008

Crunch Time

Sahsa's due date is quickly approaching and we are very excited to have an addition to our little family. Once she is born then there will be 5 mouths to feed (cats included!). We have many of the things we need but the more we think about it we realize that we still don't have everything, so I pose a question: What helped you the most when your baby was tiny? I feel like I need to ask you real people because the books you read tell you to get EVERYTHING in the world and that seems just dumb. So what should we buy? I am up for anything!!!
Sasha and I just got back from my sister's wedding in Portland and it was really great. They all complained that it was really hot but it so much better than Phoenix. We spent a ton of time with our *family there and we loved it. (I was going to write step-family before the asterisk in the previous sentence but many things happened during our time in Portland and when I think about it, we really are just one family. Just like it should be!!!) Hopefully we can all be together again soon because it really was a great stay. I start my last year of my Master's degree on Monday and I am really excited. Only one more school year and you will all stop reading about the crappy weather on our blog!!! And you can all rejoice knowing that.
Keep in touch cause we love you all!!!

8 comments:

Melinda said...

So exciting to be so close! Enough clothes was really helpful. (I felt like I was doing a load everyday just to keep her dressed.) Obviously, the carseat, Oh! I loved having a swing to just set her in. Both my girls slept really well in the swing so it was a hit at our house. (A bouncer worked well, too, so either or...) I used a basinet both times, longer for my second baby, but it was nice to not have to go to the other room to get her in the middle of the night. By 5 mo (after she's born) a high chair will be in order. Those are the things that were most helpful for us, and I hope the list is helpful to you guys, even if you don't get the stuff I found useful. Good LUCK!!

Amy said...

Hmmmmmm....good question. My favorite new baby item was a swing, but not all babies like swings. A Rocking Chair is also a must, get a really comfy kind. I would have liked more of a lazy-boy style. New babies don't need tons of outfits, onesies and little pants work fine. I had to have headbands to go on her head to make her look girly. Unless you are planning on having her sleep through the night soon you may not need a full-on crib yet. My baby slept a lot with me. I also loved having a babybjorn front carrier. I liked taking her on walks with it when she was really little instead of the stroller. But it is hot in Phoenix so you may not want your baby strapped to you! I did like it for grocery shopping though. Depending on how many errands you are going to do, I didn't really use the car seat that snaps into the stroller very much. But my sister-in-law did so you'll have to see. My biggest piece of advice is to try and find used items people are selling, except for car seats and cribs of course. But things like swings, pack n plays, high chairs...don't buy full price! Good luck! Can't wait to hear the news!

Dallas said...

Ear plugs. That's all you need.

A good excuse like "I'm sorry honey, but I can't help right now - I've got to go fight AIDS" can also be useful.

The Cannons said...

Well as a new parent get prepared to hear a LOT of advice and everyone is very opinionated about it, including myself. I would say the less junk the better. There are so many stupid baby gadgets out there that I think they are kind of annoying and unnecessary. That's just me though. I agree unless it's too late buy things used, oh and I did buy a used car seat and have a used crib. Check out your local Craigslist or Kid to Kid stores because they just puke on everything anyway.

I didn't use a bassinet. I am kind of the exception I put Corbin in his own room from the start and worked really hard to have him sleeping through the night. I am not into co-sleeping but hey maybe you will be. As long as you have a crib and a car seat those are really the essential things. I know that swings have saved some people's lives but Corbin wasn't a huge fan. I think bibs are a must unless you want to change the baby's clothes 50 times a day. I am a big fan of binkys but that is quite the controversy too. Oh parenting is so fun get ready to be opinionated!
Mitzi
p.s. WHERE ARE THE PREGO PICTURES?
Oh one more thing, man I could talk about this for days but I hated nursing, and thought it was the devil but the only reason I was able to do it at all was because of an electric breast pump. I would probably wait to buy one unless you need it because they are spendy.

Angela said...

My three favorites (besides the basic needed things like crib) items were a boppy like pillow...you can get them at Walmart for cheap. A bassinet for the first few months is wonderful, and a swing. I had one for my first and I don't for this second baby and I am dying to get one soon. It is a life saver when you need to get something done and the baby just wants to be held.
Good luck with the next few weeks and months!!! Life with a baby is the BEST!
Angela Zeyer Stark

Amanda said...

okay, in all reality, you need nothing. just your boobs and you've already got those. only in our day and age, when everyone is out to make a buck, do you suddenly need all the stuff. I liked what I did...I held out on buying anything and when I felt like I needed a problem solved and there was a product for it, I bought it. the situation is just like a nursing bra, you don't know what size you're going to need until you're there.

and keep in mind, that if your baby doesn't spit up a lot, your laundry amount isn't going to change much. I had five outfits total for Grant as a newborn and six burp cloths. I never felt like I needed more and I wasn't ever doing "a load a day just to keep up."

don't worry, you'll get into your groove (which will be different from the next person's) and you'll know exactly what you need and what you would like to make life easier.

of course you need diapers...unless you plan on doing the Elimination Communication thing. ;)

Amanda said...

and Glen, congrats about almost being done with the Masters... I was looking into a college where we're moving to and anything I'm interested in doing requires a masters to really be useful. I closed the web page and said "forget that." I don't have the patience. so kudos to you for having the patience and motivation.

{B}dreamy said...

Car-seat (can't leave the hospital without one!), diapers, wipes, pacifier, bottles (even if you're breastfeeding), a breast pump if you are (trust me), lots of burp cloths, and onesies. And a cute bag to put it all in (minus the car-seat)!!! Have fun and keep hanging in there, the both of you :)

PS- also, if you plan on breastfeeding, you'll want a new bra and some soakers. And just in case, carry an extra top for yourself and baby! Ah, those were the days... *B